To print this text, all you want is to be registered or login on Mondaq.com.
The journey bans imposed by the U.S. Authorities throughout the
COVID-19 nationwide pandemic created huge logistical challenges
for anybody searching for to fly to the U.S. from a rustic on the journey
ban checklist. Even immediately, there’s nonetheless an excessive amount of confusion
relating to who’s topic to the journey ban, what are the
exceptions, and how you can go about making use of for a Nationwide Curiosity
Exception (NIE) waiver. The guidelines beneath is meant to assist
simplify an albeit difficult course of. In fact, most U.S.
Consulates are nonetheless working at restricted capacities so vital
delays for waivers and visa stamping remains to be the norm.
- Newest Replace from the U.S. State Division:
Could 27, 2021
- International locations with Journey Bans: The Schengen space,
the UK, Eire, China, India, Brazil, South Africa,
- Schengen International locations embrace: Austria, Belgium,
Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece,
Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania,
Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia,
Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
- Household Exemptions: U.S. residents, lawful
everlasting residents, and a few of their shut members of the family. See
additional beneath for the total checklist.
- 14-Day Exemption: There’s an exemption for
those that spend 14 days outdoors of one of many “Banned
International locations” (i.e. spending 14 days in Mexico or the
- Bodily Presence at Time of Utility: Should
be within the nation the place the NIE might be filed at
the time of submitting the NIE request to the U.S. embassy or
- NIE Journey: Good for a single entry
inside 30 days of issuance.
- Members of the family: Additionally included with approval of
the principal applicant (if disclosed to the U.S. Consulate on the
time of submitting). Members of the family are strongly inspired to journey
concurrently the principal applicant to keep away from points on the
port of entry, since NIE information relating to the members of the family might not
be within the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) system. If they need to
journey individually, they need to carry a replica of the NIE approval
e-mail from the U.S. Consulate, the principal applicant’s
passport ID web page, their visa or ESTA, marriage certificates with
translation for spouses, and start certificates with translations
- NIE Standards to Show to the U.S. Embassy:
Those that are searching for to offer important assist or government
course for essential infrastructure or for vital financial
exercise in america. As well as, journalists; college students
and sure lecturers coated by the J-1 alternate customer applications;
immigrants; and fiancés might now qualify for an NIE.
- ESTA Journey: Examine the native U.S. Consulate
for NIE submitting directions.
- Want Visa: Must first ask for an expedite
based mostly on an NIE.
- Visa Simply Issued: The NIE approval ought to
already be endorsed on the visa for a single entry inside 30 days.
Will want a separate NIE approval for every subsequent journey.
- Have Visa But it surely was Issued Greater than 30 Days
In the past: Want a brand new NIE approval for every entry, which might be
legitimate for 30 days.
- Visa Stamping in One other Nation: : If
touring from a Banned Nation, an individual should wait 10 days in that
nation earlier than getting into a U.S. Consulate for visa stamping. There
are restricted appointments for third nation nationals or nationals
not residing within the jurisdiction. Could have to make expedite request
if appointment is many months out.
- Air Journey from Mexico and Canada to the U.S.:
There’s at present no journey ban in place, subsequently no NIE is
- Journey from Canada/Mexico through the Floor Border with
the U.S.: Solely important journey is allowed – these with
work visas, USC’s, LPRs and many others. There isn’t a NIE course of
- Passport Expiration: Be sure that your passport
is legitimate for no less than 6 months past the supposed keep, in any other case
U.S. Customs and Border Safety (CBP) might deny entry or severely
restrict the interval of keep.
- Detrimental COVID Check: The U.S. Heart for
Illness Management (CDC) and most airways require a adverse COVID
take a look at carried out inside 72 hours of flying to and from the U.S.
- Quarantine Upon Arrival into the U.S.: Examine
the native necessities within the state, county, and metropolis that you’re
flying to: quarantine necessities differ from none to as much as 14 days
relying on native circumstances.
Exemptions from the Journey Ban (NIE not Wanted):
- U.S. residents (aka USC’s)
- U.S. nationals
- Lawful everlasting residents of the U.S. (inexperienced card holders, or
- Spouses of USC’s and LPRs
- Youngsters of USC’s and LPRs which might be single
and underneath the age of 21
- Siblings underneath the age of 21 of USC’s and
- Dad or mum or authorized guardian of a USC or LPR baby
who’s single and underneath age 21
- COVID-19 well being care staff and researchers
- Airline and sea crewmembers
- Ambassadors, diplomats, U.N. staff and many others.
- Entry that will assist necessary U.S. legislation enforcement
- Anybody coming to the U.S. within the nationwide curiosity.
This will contain having an authorities company making the
- College students with legitimate F-1 or M-1 visas touring
to start or proceed an instructional program don’t have to contact the
U.S. Embassy to hunt a person NIE to journey. They could enter
the U.S. no sooner than 30 days earlier than the beginning of their
tutorial program. NIE eligibility for college kids who’ve
been current in Brazil, China, India, Iran, or South Africa applies
solely to applications that start on or after August 1, 2021.
- Very choose J-1 alternate guests, together with au
- Anybody spending 14 days outdoors a Banned
NIE REQUEST CHECKLIST
- Affirm that the nation is on the COVID Journey Ban Record.
- Affirm that no exemption applies.
- Examine the native U.S. Embassy or Consulate web site for
particular submitting directions for the Nationwide Curiosity
Exception to the COVID Journey Ban.
- Some U.S. Embassies require that you simply make a brief request on
their portal and can ship you a proper questionnaire to incorporate
along with your NIE submitting. Others ask that you simply e-mail them with all of the
data on the outset. Different embassies point out that you need to
first request an expedited appointment with an NIE justification
by the Division of State appointment reserving system.
- E-mail your NIE request to the e-mail tackle specified
in your relevant U.S. Consulate:
- Within the topic line state: CONSIDERATION FOR NATIONAL INTEREST
EXCEPTION – LAST NAME.
- Connect passport ID web page of principal applicant.
- Connect passports of partner and minor kids if they’re
touring with the principal.
- Connect the present ESTA registration if searching for to journey on
ESTA, or a replica of 1’s present visa if already obtained. Identical
with partner and youngsters if touring along with the
- Connect a signed NIE assist letter, normally from a U.S.
firm, outlining why the proposed journey will present important
assist or government course for essential infrastructure or for
vital financial exercise in america.
- Record the next data within the physique of the
- Identify because it seems on passport
- Date of start (XX-MON-XXXX i.e. 01-JAN-1999)
- Nation and metropolis of start
- Passport #
- Passport date of issuance
- Motive for journey
- Meant journey date
- Proposed itinerary
- A scanned copy of the passport’s biodata web page in PDF and
proper aspect up.
- A scanned copy of the legitimate ESTA or visa in PDF and proper aspect
- Private E-mail tackle (one for every particular person
- Letter out of your employer indicating your job title, a short
description of your duties.
- Essential infrastructure trade of your
- Actual particular actions you plan to carry out.
- How these actions straight assist the essential
- Why these actions require your bodily presence within the
- Why alternate options akin to video conferencing, teleworking, or
actions by proxy fail to straight assist the essential
U.S. State Division Hyperlinks
U.S. State Division NIE Overview:
U.S. State Division Nation Particular Info on
COVID Circumstances by Nation:
The content material of this text is meant to offer a common
information to the subject material. Specialist recommendation needs to be sought
about your particular circumstances.
POPULAR ARTICLES ON: Coronavirus (COVID-19) from United States